We started a new podcast network this week. It’s called Infinite Guest. Things are happening here. Important things. Things you should be downloading/streaming/using as a foundation for your new belief system, casting old ways aside. Did Ma and Pa Kent blink when an alien baby landed in their wheat field? No. You shouldn’t, either. Frankly, we’re stunned you’re still wasting your time reading this intro when a new, better life awaits. Here’s what we made for you:
- Open Mike Eagle is a touring musician, so Open Mike Eagle has tour stories on the first episode of Secret Skin. They’re kind of like Bob Seger‘s life-on-the-road, AOR warhorse “Turn the Page,” except not at all. (NOTE: Bob Seger is welcome to do a podcast for us anytime, ESPECIALLY if he wants to discuss the “Night Moves” video that featured Matt LeBlanc and Daphne Zuniga. Really, if anyone wants to discuss this video, we’re open to doing a podcast about it. Email or page us. This is important.)
- Reasonably Sound‘s Mike Rugnetta filled us in on the pinna and made me yearn for access to sulfur hexafluoride so I can talk like Prince. I am an adult with a mortgage.
- Mike also did a live Instagram thing with his first show. If you missed out, he’s doing another one at noon Eastern on August 31 with Episode 2.
- The Posts discussed the origins of the word “etiquette” and whether or not it’s acceptable to yawn at work on the first two episodes of Awesome Etiquette. They do not discuss whether it’s okay to just take a swing at your boss. (The answer is “no.” Don’t do this. You will get in trouble.)
- The Dinner Party Download checked in with Daniel Radcliffe, Benjamin Booker, and Lizzie Post. Lizzie‘s everywhere, folks.
- On the A Tiny Sense of Accomplishment openers, Sherman Alexie and Jess Walter told us about a nihilist 4 year old, pornography, and seeping back gunk. Like I even need to tell you to click on this.
- Emily Reese and Top Score talked to Darren Korb and Robyn Miller about their work on Transistor and Myst, respectively.
- Pati Jinich and Sally Swift made me aware of the phrase “chubby pepper,” for which I am forever grateful. And if you want avocado talk, Big Appetites has you covered there, too.
- John Moe‘s Home Dunk had guest stars galore (David Koechner, Rhett Miller, Jonah Keri, Dave Hill, Dana Burgess) and the wonderful Tournament of Names. Plus the best GD podcast theme song going.
That’s a lot of entertainment for your podcast dollar. If you blew through all these, we also have tremendous stuff in the archives from Wits, Life of the Law, You Must Remember This, and The Splendid Table. Here are three excellent ones to start. Some of you have a three-day weekend and a long drive ahead of you. You’ll need this.
Thanks for listening. I leave you with a hopping llama and DMX.
(courtesy David J. Roth)
Be seeing you.