Sherman Alexie and Jess Walter interviewed Molly Ringwald on A Tiny Sense Of Accomplishment, and she discussed her post-Brat Pack career as a respected writer, jazz singer, and all-around interesting person that survived the Hollywood machine. (This is where I cross-promotionally remind you to also check out Karina Longworth’s You Must Remember This, which often focuses on that machine.)
As a Breakfast Club fan in good standing, it compelled me to fire up the Google search engine to see what everyone else is up to. This is not the first time something like this has been done, but this one has a lot more appreciation for Shania Twain’s ex-husband than the others.
- John Kapelos (Carl the janitor). The seed for this idea was truly planted in 2013, when Twitter superhero Gourmet Spud noted that the character Picker on Justified (the best show on television) was being played by the janitor from The Breakfast Club. This led me to IMDb, which showed that Kapelos has been extremely busy since hanging up Carl’s mop. He was the sniffing accountant on Seinfeld!
- Judd Nelson (Bender). Is not dead.
- Paul Gleason (Principal Richard Vernon). Is dead, sadly.
- Ally Sheedy (Allison). Most recently seen volunteering at a New York performing arts school. Have you ever read Maria Bustillos’ review of her book of poetry? You should do that now.
- Anthony Michael Hall (Brian). Still very active, but I’m furious that I’ve never seen his turn as Robert John “Mutt” Lange in Hysteria: The Def Leppard Story. If they want to do a movie just about Lange, who produced Hysteria, AC/DC’s Back In Black, and was married to Shania Twain, I would watch it 47 times.
- Emilio Estevez (Andrew). He has a vineyard in his backyard now.
(fairly perfect archival Judd Nelson photo courtesy Getty Images)